The AlsationInRussia AIR Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Friendly & Social Networking Forum For Arts, Music, News, Chat

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Learning from Islam?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Learning from Islam? Empty
PostSubject: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 9:25 am

I know there are a few posters on AIR that are muslims and since I don't really understand islam and being a muslim, and yet I post on other forums where some of you post, it would be an idea to learn a bit more about the religion and the cultures attached to it.

To discuss this on another forum would only invite insult and base comments, but on here, which is free from that, would be a good platform for learning and discussing islam.

The first question, and one that has always left me baffled is the different types of head scarf muslim women can wear and what are the differences in wearing them, if there are differences?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 am

There was a thread like this on SOL, its a shame a lot of people have misconceptions and that thread if used properly can educate a lot of people.

With regards to your question Shine, the different head scarfs as in the style normally has something to do with where that women orginates from, for example the black abaya is from Saudi Arabia, the Chaddar which is the shawl is worn by women from Paksitan, India, then you have the full scaf to the knees thats worn by women from Sudan and Somalia.

In Islam a women is told to cover, what she uses to cover is up to her.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:01 am

Why is 'a woman told to cover', Nora?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:02 am

Learning from Islam? Hijab

Hijab
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:06 am

Learning from Islam? 1153496183u7jW37

Paranja

Last edited by Shine on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:08 am

Learning from Islam? Niqab803_3616

Niqab

Last edited by Shine on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:09 am

Learning from Islam? Blackql4

Purdah

Last edited by Shine on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:09 am

Learning from Islam? Butterflytying4

Tznuit

Last edited by Shine on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:10 am

Learning from Islam? Yashmak1

Yashmak

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:12 am

Learning from Islam? Burqa1

Burqa

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:13 am

Learning from Islam? 3

Tudong
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:27 am

Hijab- means to cover

Niqab is the cloth used to cover your face, although the Quran does not tell
you to cover the face.

Many reasons for Hijab, it reminds a women and man (dont forget men are told to
cover too) that its whats on the inside that counts, its to make a person think
spiritually rather then about material objects, to judge a person on their
deeds and personality rather then their looks, a protection for women from
unwanted attention, a remainder of what they will be judged on (i.e the person
on the inside). All these are some reasons, I will find a good article about
this for you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:39 am

That still doesn't answer, Nora, for me, why a woman would want to cover virtually the whole of her face up, except for a slit near the eyes, and in such hot countries? What is the reason for this? You mention 'unwanted attention', what do you mean by that?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:52 am

The covering of the face is not compulsory in Islam, this is
called Niqab, and is more of a culture thing.

Unwanted attention meaning from Men.

Im not sure if you watched that show called MAKE ME A MUSLIM on Channel 4, it
was on some time last year and was about these 6/7 non Muslim men and women
living as Muslims. One women was a model and was very use to showing her body
esp her boobs, she had a major problem with covering her body, and she said
that she thrived on the attention she got from men, I think in reality that
says something about a person, if a women only dresses in a way to get
attention and feels somewhat low when she doesnt get this attention says a lot
about her confidence and character.

This is what the Hijab is about, its about reminding a person that what you
look like on the outside is not a issue but what is on the inside.

As for walmer climates the Hijab differs, and women wear Shawls often cotton and White.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:55 am

Thanks for that, Nora.

'Unwanted attention from men,' you say. So if a women walks down the street in Islamabad without the Burqa, she will hounded by 'unwanted attention' from men?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:59 am

Shine wrote:
Thanks for that, Nora.

'Unwanted attention from men,' you say. So if a women walks down the street in Islamabad without the Burqa, she will hounded by 'unwanted attention' from men?

No actually in Islamabad women dont wear the Hijab well not many of them, What this means if a women did not over herself properly that wil lead to unwanted attention, if that is something she does not want.

Like for example me I dont wear the Hijab in the sense I dont cover my hair when I leave the home, but I do cover my body like my bust, legs etc, as I dont want that attention.

In areas of Pakistan I wore the shawl as a women without it did get unwanted attention and thats not always in the sexual sense
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 11:17 am

Nora wrote:
Shine wrote:
Thanks for that, Nora.

No actually in Islamabad women dont wear the Hijab well not many of them, What this means if a women did not over herself properly that wil lead to unwanted attention, if that is something she does not want.

Like for example me I dont wear the Hijab in the sense I dont cover my hair when I leave the home, but I do cover my body like my bust, legs etc, as I dont want that attention.

In areas of Pakistan I wore the shawl as a women without it did get unwanted attention and thats not always in the sexual sense

But isn't there something wrong with the society in which this happens, Nora, that women feel compelled to wear a defensive veil to deter unwanted attention?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 12:05 pm

I had to wear a dupatta when I was in Pakistan as I got way too much attention when I didnt.. I wore jeans and t-shirts unless we were visiting then I wore salwar chemise flower
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 12:11 pm

So, Sandybeaches, is this 'unwanted attention' prevalent in both Pakistan and Britain, and more importantly, I still don't quite know what both you and Nora mean by 'unwanted attention'?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 12:15 pm

Shine BTW, Nora went home earier from work then usual at 5.30pm so she won't answer until tomorrow unless she logs on from home tonight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks, Magical, I thought she had and was evading my learning of Islam.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 12:26 pm

Shine wrote:
So, Sandybeaches, is this 'unwanted attention' prevalent in both Pakistan and Britain, and more importantly, I still don't quite know what both you and Nora mean by 'unwanted attention'?

Just people staring.. staring isnt considered rude over there lol, There were two serious incidents though, the first in lahore when we were followed by young men in a car and we had to drive till we seen the police, the second time in Karachi we were followed by gun men on motor bikes but we had a gun in the car and my BIL ia a major in the army so when he got out the car and they saw the uniform and gun they scarpered.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 1:27 pm

Sandybeaches wrote:
Shine wrote:

Just people staring.. staring isnt considered rude over there lol, There were two serious incidents though, the first in lahore when we were followed by young men in a car and we had to drive till we seen the police, the second time in Karachi we were followed by gun men on motor bikes but we had a gun in the car and my BIL ia a major in the army so when he got out the car and they saw the uniform and gun they scarpered.

It seems a very lawless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 1:56 pm

It is a bit lawless at times, although there are very strict laws and most people stick to them, there are lots of gangs and bandits. I can say though that I enjoyed all my visits to Pakistan and the friendliness and welcome I recieved there was amazing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 2:04 pm

So is it safe to say, Sandy, that women wear head-dress to avoid the attention of 'gangs and bandits' in Muslim lands?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learning from Islam?   Learning from Islam? Empty

Back to top Go down

Learning from Islam?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next