The AlsationInRussia AIR Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Friendly & Social Networking Forum For Arts, Music, News, Chat

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anyone reading any good books at the moment

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 3:50 pm

Shine, are you ok scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 3:51 pm

Why shouldn't I be, Cruiser?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 3:56 pm

Shine wrote:

My google search engine must be playing up tonight Shine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 3:57 pm

Granny made me an Anarchist by Stuart Christie 👍

I've read it more than once now ( well you have as it gets quite intense)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 3:59 pm

Cruiser wrote:
Shine wrote:

My google search engine must be playing up tonight Shine.

The ghosts, which I believe in, when accompanied by Lucifer in Beelzebub's tights, have cemented a hold on your Google enquiries, Cruiser.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 4:01 pm

drum wrote:

I just looked it up ,Drum,It looks good,Thanks,I might give it a go Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 2:33 am

Bella I would recommend Jeas Sassons books Princess. The first part is called Princess
Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 13743458so0.th
The Second part is called "Daughters of Arabia"
Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 2yz04ddeu8.th
And Third part is called "Dessert Royal"
Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 034d0ebeym4.th
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 3:01 am

I love reading about other cultures ,Nora,infact I used to go to an Islamic bookshop in Westbourne grove when I was in London and take advice from the assistants as to what to read,I had a boyfriend from Malaysia at that time who was a Moslem so I felt it my duty to learn about his religion. I especially enjoyed the womens writing.I have a strange wish to go out one day wearing a veil just to see what it's it like and how different peoples reactions might be to me .
I had a friend who wrote this book,Brick Lane,her name is Monica Ali.The book became somewhat controversial,it has since been made into a film.I wondered if you had read it,Nora and if so what you thought.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article2889305.ece
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 3:10 am

I have heard of that Book Bella. My friend read it and mentioned it to me. I will need to see if she still has a copy.

The books by Jean Sasson the ones above are very good. A Princess from the House of Saud (Saudi Arabia) tells of the corruption within the Kingdom. It also deals with her personal issues of marriage and then kids. She also goes into detail of the money the Sauds spend. You will see on one shopping trip in New York she spends $200,000.00 in ONE shop.

This princess who's real identity is not given is against the way the women are treated in SA. Its so inspiring to see a Princess like her taking a step to make the society better for women.

There are some shocking stories within that story too.

Jean Sasson also wrote a book called "Mayada" this is a book about a Iraqi women who is captured in one of the Torture prisons at the time that Sadam Hussein was in power. This book is also good.

At the mo I am reading a book by DEAN KOONTZ, Its called BROTHER ODD. So far its ok.

But Bella those books are really really good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 11:27 am

Bella wrote:
drum wrote:

I posted about it on BF as well, Sandy bought a copy as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 12:22 pm

drum wrote:
Bella wrote:
drum wrote:

I posted about it on BF as well, Sandy bought a copy as well.

I did and I quite enoyed it Very Happy

Evening Drum Very Happy

Evening Bella Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 12:34 pm

What was your thoughts on Da Vinci Code? I really enjoyed the book
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 12:39 pm

I enjoyed it Nora, its a fast paced page turner. Very Happy I liked the film too Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 12:44 pm

SB - I loved the book personally I hated the movie. I normally find that with books made into movies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 12:50 pm

Nora wrote:
SB - I loved the book personally I hated the movie. I normally find that with books made into movies.

Maybe its because I like Tom Hanks that I liked the movie. There was lots of the book missing from the movie but i thought it was ok.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 12:55 pm

The Ending was totally different. The Books and The Movies. He's making the Movie for the other Book now Angels and Demons
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 1:00 pm

I've read that too, I liked it but prefered Da Vinci code, If it has Tom Hanks in it I'll watch Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 1:09 pm

I got this book but aint read it yet. Have you heard of Dean Koontz?

I read a lot of true stories Ugly- By Constantine was a good book
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 1:20 pm

I sometimes find it disappointing when I see a film of a book I've read,I think because I have the ability to think in pictures as well as words the characters are often very different in film than than the image in my head :shock: Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 1:22 pm

Evening Bella

Yes I find the same too, When I read the book i never had Tom Hanks down as the main character in Da Vinci Code.

I also find the lack of detail disapointing, suppose there is so much you can put in a 90 mins movie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 1:29 pm

I haven't read Dean Koontz but I might have a look.

I had a phase for a while when ii was reading what I call the 'poor me' books and I think I read ugly then. I've went right off them now and instead have started reading autobiographes, I've read Dawn French, Paul O'Grady and Julie Walters and I have too say Pauls was brilliant and he has enough material left to right atleast 5 more books about his life as at the end of that one he was only starting 20 :shock: it was very funny.

Dawn frenchs' book was a disappointment tbh, written in letter format to her friends, readers were left trying to pick up snippets of her life...not that great.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 1:30 pm

Evening Bella Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 1:31 pm

Yeah I went through that phase too. I also read the book written about Fred and Rosemary West "Happy go Killers" I think it was called. It was a good book but very disturbing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 1:37 pm

I read Detective mags, only the British ones. I like reading them on holiday as its short true stories and very interesting.
Back to top Go down
drum

drum

Female
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 2:27 am

I read anything... even the back of the bleach bottle .. lol

Im currently re-reading all my Martina Cole books again.

Last week I read Brick Lane by Monica Ali (I've seen the film once or twice) about a young lass brought over from Bangladesh to marry.. It's her story, in her eyes. A good tale well written

Dean Koontz? I've read a lot of his stuff, but I prefer Richard Laymon... he really does scare tha pants of you. Gone right off Stephen King.. I think he is now being "ghost written" . The last book of his I enjoyed was CELL. I bought Liseys Story when it came out and still haven't got past the first chapter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone reading any good books at the moment   Anyone reading any good books at the moment - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone reading any good books at the moment
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2